Partnership pioneers safer insulin injections

Общемировые новости по сахарному диабету на английском языке. Публикуются пользователями и автоматически из лент информационных агентств.
Ответить
Grayman
Контактная информация:

Partnership pioneers safer insulin injections

Сообщение Grayman »

Work by Cardiff University has shown a device for self-managing diabetes medication could save the NHS millions of pounds.

Experts gathered user feedback for the NeedleBay insulin self-management device, helping Diabetes Care Technology understand and develop its product.

NeedleBay allows users to prepare needles a week in advance, attach and remove them safely from the insulin pen, and dispose of used ones touch-free.

Research led by Professor Molly Courtenay at Cardiff's School of Healthcare Sciences gave the company insight into how NeedleBay performed – and feedback on how to make it more effective.

Professor Courtenay said: "We developed a questionnaire that was delivered over the phone to patients who had used the NeedleBay system. And it really explored their experiences of them injecting themselves with insulin before they used the system, and then when they had used the system."

Patient Carole Terrett, a former hospital worker from Ebbw Vale, has not had a 'hypo' episode, where her glucose was too low, or a 'hyper' one, where her levels were too high, since using the system.

"I'm a Type 2 diabetes patient, and take insulin in the morning with tablets, and in the evening. Every Sunday I fill up the NeedleBay. I've got two needles in the pod, and the device helps me manage the injections, and it reminds me whether I have, or haven't, taken the dose, and makes sure I haven't double-dosed on it either."

Before using NeedleBay, over two thirds of the 226 survey participants had missed insulin injections or mistakenly taken a double dose. During use of the device, patients making these errors dropped to around 20%.

Ответить